Jonathon had dental surgery yesterday and had 3 of his 4 molars (the big teeth used for chewing) removed. The vet said he will still be able to eat dry food. His teeth were removed due to recurring infection in these teeth causing him pain.
Jonathon had periodontal disease...hopefully, removing these teeth will help his mouth become healthier.
As periodontal disease progresses, you may observe the following signs:
- Purulent exudate (pus) around the tooth
- Persistent bad breath
- Gums that bleed easily
- Sensitivity around the mouth
- Pawing at the mouth
- Gums that are inflamed (red), hyperplastic, or receding
- Loose or missing teeth
- Loss of appetite
- Stomach or intestinal upsets
- Difficulty chewing or eating
- Irritability or depression